vegan recipe: If you’re looking for a delicious and satisfying vegan recipe, look no further than Roasted Tomato Spaghetti with Spinach and Chickpeas. This flavorful dish combines the sweetness of roasted tomatoes with the earthiness of spinach and the protein-packed goodness of chickpeas.
To make this dish, start by roasting fresh tomatoes in the oven until they are soft and slightly caramelized. While the tomatoes are roasting, cook your spaghetti according to package instructions until al dente. In a separate pan, sauté some garlic and onions in olive oil until fragrant. Add in the cooked chickpeas and spinach, allowing them to wilt slightly.
Let’s start making with this easy method..
- 1/2 lb. spaghetti
- ▢1 pint cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, sliced lengthwise seasoned with 1/2 tsp each kosher salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder
- ▢1 tbsp olive oil for roasting
- ▢1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- ▢2 tbsp olive oil
- ▢10 oz. mushrooms very finely chopped
- ▢3/4 tsp salt
- ▢3/4 tsp black pepper
- ▢3/4 tsp garlic powder
- ▢1 bell pepper finely diced
- ▢3 cloves minced garlic
- ▢1/2 cup reserved pasta cooking water
- ▢3 tbsp tomato paste
- ▢1/3 cup crushed tomatoes canned
- ▢1/2 15 oz. chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ▢1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- ▢2 cups somewhat packed baby spinach
- ▢2 tsp dried parsley
- ▢1/4 to 1/2 tsp red chili flakes to taste
- ▢2 tsp lemon juice optional
- ▢1/4 to 1/3 cup kalamata olives coarsely chopped, to taste
- Cook spaghetti until just al dente in salted water. Drain but reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 400 degrees F and slice tomatoes. Place them in baking dish with the 1 tbsp oil and seasonings indicated. Toss. Bake until skins are wilting and juices released, around 25 min.
- While those are cooking, finely chop the onions and mushrooms and add them to large pan with the 2 tbsp olive oil and the salt, pepper, garlic powder. Cook 10 min on medium, stir occasionally. Add chopped bell pepper, cook another 5 min.
- Add garlic, cook another min. Add the roasted tomatoes, the pasta cooking water, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, chickpeas. Stir well, simmer 3 min.
- Add remaining ingredients except spaghetti, toss as spinach wilts then add spaghetti, toss again. Taste for seasoning, serve. Top with more fresh or dried parsley and chili flakes if desired.